Using tarp is a way to protect the interior of a home from being exposed to elements because of any damaged roof or skylight. A proficient tarp is also used for protecting the roof from any further damage. This roof helps in providing 90 days of full protection from the rain. On the other hand, trying to tarp the roof means protecting the home so that you can make some of the permanent repairs later on. So, it is really mandatory for you to catch up with the best expert to help you find the right tarp over here. But first, even before you come across a tarp, there are some points of assessments that you need to cover.
Find the damaging point on the roof first:
At first, you have to find the point of damage. For that, you have to use a ladder to reach the roof. In case, the roof is too steep to just stand on, try to examine it from the ladder only. Check for the damaged roof tiles and even for some of the scattered debris. Make sure to take time and examine the roof entirely and carefully. Chances are high that there will be more than just a section where the roof might be damaged.
- On the other hand, you can just go to attic and examine the roof from there. Some of the larger water stains on wood of roof are some of the tell-take signs that the roof is going through some damages. It is really important for you to catch up with the best experts for Roof repair saint louismo over here.
Measure the size of the said damage in question:
You have to get to onto the roof carefully if you possibly can. Kneel right down by damage and then unroll tape for measurement. Measure the right precise dimensions of the said damage. Always try to measure all the damaging points over here too. In case you are not quite aware of the roof’s dimensions, now might be the right time to note them down for later use.
Taking pictures is the next step:
Be sure to take a lot of pictures of the damage. For that, you can use a camera or your smartphone to capture as many possible pictures as you can of the said damage.
- By just having evidences of the damages, you might have easier time to work with the home insurance companies if you have any. They will want proof and these pictures will act like that.
- On the other hand, having proper pictures of damages actually mean you now know how large of the trap you might need in the said hardware store. This way, you won’t spend time and money purchasing tarp, which is not even covering the whole lot.
Look for that suitable tarp:
Always make it a point to invest bucks for the suitable tarp. Most of the hardware stores are here to sell their customers with varieties of the tarp sizes. Generally, it is always better to ensure that the tarp is bigger than what you might need than going for the smaller ones.
- Most of the tarps will cover majority of the roof. However, just to be safe, it is high time that you measure sizes of the damages and ensure that your purchased tarp is able to cover damaged area soon.
- In case, you have any uncertainty, make sure to ask any employee of the hardware store to help you make the right choice.
You need all the proficient safety equipment:
Repairing roof can be a dangerous task, to say the least. In case, you are just certain that you want to repair roof yourself instead of calling a pro, then you will have all the proper equipment by your side. A sturdy form of boots, thick gloves, film ladder, helmet, protective glasses and even the high visibility vest, are some of the items which you might want to add in the list for now.
Get some friends to help you position the tarp:
In case, you are planning to tarp the roof without the help of a professional, you might bring in some family and friends for help. Laying the tarp out can be a bit dangerous. Therefore, it is always mandatory to just have that extra pair of helping hands to help with some of the menial works. Most of the time, it is recommended to get an expert help you with such critical cases. But if you are absolutely certain to work on such tasks on your own, remember there is someone in house that can help you with the task whenever there is an emergency.
Time to clear debris:
You have to clear all the debris from the roof before placing the tarp to cover affected areas. It is always preferred to wait for this task on a dry day. Try to bring that brush with you onto the roof. Remove all the leaves, branches and debris so that the roof is clear.
- You can further brush off the leaves so there is no insect life trapped under tarp later.
- In case, some branches are a bit heavy, you might need some help to lift them off the roof. For that, call someone from the family or friend’s circle to help.
Unroll tarp from corners:
Tarps are a bit unwieldy, mainly during windy day. So, bring tarp out of packaging and find a corner of it. Once you have the corner firmly in your hand, have a helper to grab opposite end. As you just move away from one another, the tarp will start unrolling naturally.
After that, make sure to lay tarp out flat jut over the affected areas on the roof. You might have to need help with that and that help is just a phone call away! As you have already measured the tarp before purchasing so the entire place will be covered.